Thursday, July 24, 2008

In An Attempt To Kill Me

So here we are on family vacation and for some reason the word "VACATION" for me = EAT EVERYTHING in sight because you are taking a vacation from watching what you eat. (OK, don't laugh. I at least TRY to watch what I eat at home. . . on occasion or probably not.) Well, today I came out to the kitchen in our condo to find these on the counter top.



They were in a nice little package that indicated on the label that they were Wasabi Peas. Knowing that they were: A) in the kitchen B) in an open package C) Peas=nutritious, I decided to inquire about them. My brother Mike was busy making home made pizzas and insisted that they were really good and that I should try them. Now what would you have done? Well, I did what I always do when presented food or even when food is within a 10 mile radius. I decided to try it! Let me just say that going into this I had NO clue what Wasabi was. Yeah, I guess you could say I fell off the turnip truck yesterday but I really didn't know! I quickly popped one in my mouth and chewed and immediately opened my now burning and insulted mouth and headed quickly for the garbage to spit! Oh, you know that the family was getting a good laugh out of this!

"Who buys this crap?" I asked. I should have even known better than to ask. My Dad bought it and it just serves me right for even questioning it. The first taste that so rudely intruded on and offended my taste buds was the flavor of horseradish. I can honestly say I HATE that flavor! Apparently I should have asked what Wasabi was BEFORE trying it, at which point I would have been informed that it was a type of Japanese Horseradish. YUCK! Memories of my childhood came flooding back to me at that very moment. All two of them that I remember (so it was more like a trickle than a flood). It's a sad deal when you have Alzheimer's! Anywho, I remember my Dad eating horseradish with about EVERYTHING edible and probably things that weren't edible. We would all shriek in disgust. He would fool us by having us turn to look at something or pass something while at the table and he would take a bit of horseradish and put it in our potatoes. He would then sit back and wait for that moment when we would bite into it and run gagging (sometimes gagging AND crying) to the sink and then he would laugh! Let's just say that I have never and WILL NEVER be a fan of horseradish. (I am not into eating horse:) Even though I have greatly expanded my menu from what I ate as a child, horseradish will never be a part of my grown-up menu. YUCK!

So if you didn't know what Wasabi was, here is your warning. If you did know, then you can laugh at me and wonder what rock I crawled out from under. If you are a wasabi or horseradish lover I can only say- Your taste really sucks! I won't fall for that trick again!. . . or will I? I'm kind of scared with my lack of memory these days.

OH, and by the way, it didn't ruin my appetite for lunch or dinner. I didn't skip a beat with the food thing:) Yum, Yum!

12 comments:

Jen said...

Also, never eat raw taro. It is like a potato with a gazillion tiny homeless crabs who will inhabit your mouth and throat and pinch incessantly for the rest of the week.

Kathi D said...

I know what wasabi is and wouldn't touch the stuff. I, too, HATE horseradish! I hate the very smell of it, yet every Thanksgiving I make a special cranberry sauce for Rick: cranberries, oranges, sour cream and horseradish. Oh, it stinks! and he loves it! Ewwwwwwwwwww!!!!

Kathi D said...

Is somebody taking in your mail at home? Because, believe it or not! a package should have arrived for you today. (at long, long, last)

Hey It's Di said...

Kathi- My oldest two couldn't stand spending a WHOLE week with us and so they are home. I can't wait too see what's in my mail:)

Anonymous said...

I have a habit of popping things in my mouth and asking questions after the fact. Wasabi? Now that I have had time to think about it....yeah, wasabi is that hot chinese shit. But on a package that looks like peas with a disability? I would have grabbed a handful too. Thanks for teaching me something today so that this day is not totally wasted.

Jenny said...

You should have known better. All the P's together, and something strange on the counter.

Very FUNNY!!
Wish I could have seen that.
I need your email addresses for a Twilight Party invite.

Jillybean said...

I probably would have done the same thing.

But then again, I don't mind horseradish...in moderation!

Phae-Jae said...

HA and Sorry:)

I'll pass on the wasabi

I have always thought horseradish taste like paint remover...not that I have ever tasted paint remover, but you know what I mean.

Jodi said...

Found your blog through Nancy's! It's great!

Anything that is called WASABI has to be nasty! Even the name makes me cringe. I don't mind horseradish on Arby sandwiches though as long as it is mixed with BBQ sauce. Maybe if you dipped them in that they would taste less like poison! Or not....

Jean Knee said...

amazing how something that looks so delicious can be so vile.

that's what hub says about me.

Petersons said...

Yeah, I did the same thing and your dumb Dad laughed and laughed. Scott likes to try and get me to do that stuff too! Apple doesn't fall far from the tree eh?

muralimanohar said...

Hey, what's with the wasabi hate? :p My kids CHEER when the wasabi peas come in the house!

Jen, who the HELL convinced you to eat raw taro?? You have to treat it first!