Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Fun Times Had By Most At The Floral!

Skipper, Bud & Cleatus sporting their sexy floral mache hats!


Owning a family floral shop has proven to be quite the challenge when it comes to keeping kids entertained. I know they look harmless but believe me, they aren't always!! My sisters and I have pretty much raised several of our kids in the business & they have learned to be creative as they play. Sometimes they are sporting green mache containers for hats & pretending to be "apricons" (aka leprechauns). At other times they are creating masterpiece arrangements from the clipped stems & dead flowers & then convincing us to put them out on the shelf to sell (and boy our husbands are proud that their sons are arranging flowers- NOT!). Most often the kids take the scraps, leaves and cut stems then add water & stir to make a delicious stew! (which we have to pretend to sample). Fortunately, MOST of their play is harmless and they don't always go home bleeding or with extra bumps and bruises. On occasion some glass containers get in the way of their play and we find glass shards for weeks. It's a real bummer when my son Bud is the only child at the shop. The day becomes very long as he begins his routine question of "Is it time to go home yet?" at promptly 9:05 a.m. (5 minutes after our arrival) and it continues to be asked approximately every 5 minutes until the work day is over! I often wonder how we ever get anything done, but we do. We have managed this "kid" routine since we opened the doors for business 13 years ago and we wouldn't know any different. We like to call it our floral nursery. . . nursery. A lot of flowers. A lot of kid play.

6 comments:

Kathi D said...

Looks like they do a nice job of entertaining themselves! How nice that you can take the kids with you--a benefit of being your own boss. Hey, kids have been "helping out" at the family store for generations, why not yours?

Nancy Face said...

Mmmm...I want some of that stew! ;)

The pictures are SOOO CUTE! What a fun post to read! :)

Neil said...

Thanks for the cute pictures of my three favorite apricons....We need to market those great hats. I don't think that others have thought of it. MUM

Jana Nielson said...

That has to be an old picture cause I'm pretty sure a bucket won't fit on 'ol Cleat's heed anymore!!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I take my kids to work with me sometimes. They don't mind it because they know I'm good for a package of Twinkies and at least 5 bucks for their work.

nicole hill gerulat said...

i'm so glad you took a picture of this.. this is how i remember all the little cousins running around the shop.